Monday, August 2, 2010

Artist of the Week: Bae Joon Sung


The Costume of a Painter, 2008

I was first introduced to Bae Joon Sung's work when I saw him in an exhibit during a trip to Seoul, Korea in December of 2008. I was reminded of him recently when I visited the Saatchi Gallery in London last month. His work is very interesting. Although you cannot see it in the above photo, the images of people in this photo are actually holograms, so as you walk by the painting the individuals in this painting go from clothed to naked, or clothed in one outfit to another outfit. I find his use of holograms to be genius and very entertaining. The holograms add depth to his otherwise somewhat 2 dimensional paintings and increases the level of excitement associated with his work. I am sad to say there is not much information on Bae Joon Sung on the internet but you can find his work and of many other talented Korean artists in this book that gives great incite into modern day Korean art.

The Costume of a Painter, 2008

In the above image, you can kind of get the feeling of how Bae Joon Sung's holograms work.


The Costume of a Painter, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment