Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Artist of the Week: Gerhard Richter


Heiner Friedrich, 1970

Gerhard Richter makes me smile. This German artist is a primary example of why I chose to study art history. He combines two of my great artistic passions: photography and painting, in many of his works. He is most famous for his over-painted photographs as well as his abstract paintings. I recently visited the Tate Modern and was overwhelmed with joy when I entered a room entirely full of Gerhard Richter paintings. His paintings may seem "typical" but in person they really move you. You feel the artist's motives and you truly are able to spend a great length of time taking in his paintings. You can find out more about Gerhard Richter here.


Cage 6, 2006



18.4.93, 1993

Sänger/Singer, 1965




No comments:

Post a Comment